Dreams and freedom



 DREAMS AND FREEDOM 

Memmi (2003 p.9) knew the colonizer and the colonized very well: “Here is a confession I have never made before: I know the colonizer from the inside almost as well as I know the colonizad.” To make real changes into our reality we need to look within ourselves. The author recalled that psychoanalysis could be employed to distinguish roles of individuals that fit into the categories of colonizer or colonized and to explain their relation within the context of colonialism
            I will  trace my  confession back to December of 2012, I resigned from my secondary teacher position on 12/21/12, when the Mayan calendar  was regarded as the end-date of a 5,126-year-long cycle, a new era of good will began. To summarize the reason why I resigned I will say that I lost hope. I faced the darkness of our time. I began dreaming, I thought that I could build a better situation when I was asleep. I anxiously waited nighttime to make sense of the world that surrounded me. I dreamt heavy, at first I was not conscious of my action, later I knew that I was going to see what the Mayas named Doble Mirada, Ocultador Serpiente. Briseño (2012 p 53)  translated the Mayan sacred book Popol Vuh, this book provides us with clues about how shadows and ligth become reconciled when love is present.  “Vino y habló entonces aquí con el que viene del Infinito, El Ocultador Serpiente, aquí en la oscuridad de noche. Habló con el del Infinito, Ocultador de Serpiente, se hablaron, pensaron, y meditaron; se juntaron y se pusieron de acuerdo en pensamientos y palabras se quisieron y se amaron bajo esta claridad”. Dreaming of  a snake can be scary but when you see it  wipe out fear, snake is not a shadow. With not fear guarding, it was my time to create stories that will overcome my culture of silence. I wrote two novels (Mujeres cósmicas and San York Kluni), poems and short stories. Suddenly I stopped dreaming, I realized that resentment, anger, confusion but at the same time joy were talking in my writing. Overcoming the culture of silence takes courage; we oppressed, need to claim word property by using vocabulary to be part of history. When I published my two novels, I decided to go back to my roots to rescue hope. For me, hope has become a rescue mission for the past three years, hope is an essence that we, women and teachers cast away by our effort to make the master content; a human without hope will be missing her or his constant joy and a natural exploratory feeling. Hope is a decision that a person make despite hard reality and suffering, Freire (1998) said that hope is a key component and not an intruder, the author spoke of a critical hope that is the ability to be angry about injustice, while continuing to struggle for positive change without cynical and immobilizing fatalism . 
During my journey to recover hope I visited the land of my great grand mothers, The Raramuri Mountains; I went there because of a dream, after my mother have told me horrific stories that happened to my Tarahumara great grand mothers, Cirila and Cleofas; I dreamt of a Tarahumara calling me, we were siting on a big rock watching scenarios of darkness and light. I took a train to Urique, Chihuahua and I found him. He just told me a couple of words “Go back to El Paso, you need to continue decoding your dreams, revealing secrets”, as he pointed out a beautiful river he continued saying “look at the river, there are black and white birds talking to people. I will call you when is needed.” It seems like he was talking to me in a secret code, I did not try to understand his words using my western mind, and neither I considered him my spiritual guide. To my surprise the day I wrote the lines above, the same Tarahumara came to my dreams, he told me to wash my foot to clean up the mud, he handed me a Raramuri sandal, “ya no uses esas chanclas viejas- do not use that old sandals”. I tried it on and it did not fit my small foot.
In my family having indigenous ancestors has been kept as a secret for generations until my mother, the youngest child of her family, decided to break it. I am the only one who is interested in decoding racism. After I visited Tarahumara land I noticed that my enthusiasm and joy started to flourish as never before. I was able to combine hope and dreaming. Now being aware about how indigenous constructs their thinking process, I can freely speak of my own findings. In the Póopol Wuuj (Popol Vuh) the Mayan bible or main Mayan book, they explain dualism as a powerful force, binary ideas form circle to create a spiral for new knowledge as Briseño (2012) pointed, from Mayan perspective events and  time complement each other in synchronic fashion.
“desde la perspectiva maya las ideas se van complementando a manera de círculos concéntricos porque se hace con la lógica semántica de la historia, no con la lógica del tiempo lineal occidental, ” (p.37).
A couple of weeks ago I dreamt of a trip to Africa, I was host by a black family, mother, father, and children. During my dream I asked, what am I doing here? Dreams are confusing, aren't they? No, this specific one was not crowded at all, in fact during the day I read Memmi an author born in Africa. In  my dream I was running up  the mountain, here in El Paso, I felt tired; I saw books, teachers, paintings fading. I woke up thinking of my oppressor side and level of racism as Dr Cesar Rossatto questions him self in his book From Blind to Transformative Optimism. The most surprising thing is that a day after my dream, I went to a restaurant, I was talking to a beautiful German lady that put her cat to sleep, she claimed that the cat was too old, in my mind I judged her, of being racist against old cats; while I was about to speak up my mind, I saw a black family arriving to the restaurant I was in, their faces looked very familiar, it took me couple minutes to realized that they were the same African family of my dream. I knew that I was very connected to one of the purpose of Dr Rossatto lesson, to deconstruct racism. First we need to acknowledge what kind of contracts we have made with our ancestors; Rossato (2005) said that we learned fatalism; we learn to agree to things that are against basic human rights, which is to be treated with dignity and respect. We ignore that basic truth, especially when our family members or we have been oppressed for long time.  Real-life situations and social structures influence us to build visions of our future. The more poor and oppressed we are the less is our hope to improve.
 I was born and attended elementary, secondary, and post secondary education in Mexico; my father was a farmer in the US during the Bracero program. When I was five years old, the first kinder garden opened its doors, as a child, I went alone to search for information to attend classes; my inspiration came from my family who encourage me to follow the path of education to overcome economic hardship, to be empowered, as Weiler (1998) locates power as the medium and the expression of wider structural relations and social forms positions subjects within ideological matrixes of constraint and possibility, Mexican educational model follow banking model concept where we, students, appear as empty glasses, women of my family struggle to flourish their individual identity, their ideologies, perceptions and original  communications are unknown or kept secret,  attending school does not necessary free us, on the contrary, we are part of social and cultural reproduction. It took extensive psychological work for us to speak and share how we learned the world. Weiler (1998)  studied Athusser who was dealing directly with questions of social reproduction through schools, the schools become the primary means through which subjects themselves are created. Therefore it was almost impossible to seek for individuality or trace our memories as women, how do we smell, sense, see, read and write the world. While interacting with institutional voices, we adopt what is already out there. We were shaped some times in suffering, pain, discourage, immersed in social, education, and cultural systems, behaving as an empty container students are at risk of filling knowledge, feelings and perceptions without knowing their identity or assuming them selves as part of their own learning process, Freire (2001) said that one can have a more radical view when “assuming”, when teacher and learners voices are interacting. They can engage in the experience of assuming them selves as social, historical, thinking, communicating, transformative, creative persons; dreamers of possible utopias. In our family were fortunate to have a father that never instructed us how to live; he provided us with love and comprehension, and always to have in mind to be an autonomous person to find dignity, respect and freedom; he thought us to be free thinkers, despite his low level of academic education, he knew basic universal rights, he was part of the communist party in Mexico, he fought for social justice and equality at all times and situations.  Parents are the first authority, Freire (2001 p 87) said that rooms could be occupied by dependency of all sort of voices that will hunt our very ontological vocation.
“ At the heart of the experience of coherently democratic authority is a basic, almost obsessive dream: namely, to persuade or convince freedom of its vocation to autonomy as it travels the road of self construction, using materials from within and without, but elaborated over and over again. It is with this autonomy, laboriously constructed, that freedom will gradually occupy those spaces previously inhabited by dependency”.
Teaching in the US after teaching in Mexico does not represent much difference. During my professional praxis as a secondary teacher I tried not to follow banking educational model, as part of an oppressive educational system teachers do not have many options but to represent the traditional depository account that promise to generate “quality” clones to serve the master:

The banking concept of education, a subtle violence.
Freire talked and worked with educators; in our time, schools have became a business like models of pursing capitalist interest, therefore the mentality of oppression has infiltrated schools grounds, walls, administrators, curriculums that obey standardization. Consciousness never had significant impact on educational practice. Freire (1973) argues educators ought to be aware of their participation in the learning; participatory education is when students, parents and teachers are involved. For instance in Mexico, a very strict instrument of evaluation has been designed to control teachers.  There is tremendous amount of violence in this complex format, people immerse into the flow of “teacher efficiency” or “learner quality” are now aware how oppressed or oppressors they have become. With violence we have gone from physical war to subtle war in the way we think, the way we treat others, the way we enter into oppressive systems without realizing which role we participate in. To end this internal war that society has been immersed, we need to enter to dialogue from point zero, empty our selves from pre conceive ideas inherited in the banking educational model. Perhaps, create from within a different perception of the word and the world, Giroux (2013) said “if you want to change the world, change the metaphors, before we attempt to change our lines, we need to feel the real connotation of words and begin to create metaphors. In Spanish we have the Real Academia de la Lengua, (Royal Academic of Language) that give us a very specific definition of words, in order to be successful we must follow guidelines, any time I want to write a fiction piece I felt trapped in my own vocabulary. Living in the border of Mexico and the US, I have created my own literary format to communicate my creativity, I have changed the old painful metaphor that our Mexican school system had in the past “ la letra con sangre entra” for “la letra con amor entra” physical punishment was in placed when I attended elementary school.  “Spare the rod is to spoil the child”  its is the equivalent in English which is the exercise control with sanctions and physical and psychological punishment, a sick metaphor. Metaphor is a figurative speech that requires words and feelings that can easily be created from masters for oppress to swallow it.
We live in constant metaphor of horror that soon become reality and in order to change it, oppressed people need to wake up, know their voices, and proclaim ownership of words.  We do not want to make permanent the culture of violence and live a state of fear that force us to keep secrets hidden in the oppressor rhetoric’s. During Fall 2015 while taking Pablo Freire and Social Justice class, my impression of the teacher changed drastically, an inner reflection and sometimes wordy- war began, and I refused to follow guidelines proposed by teacher. I taught that if we were talking about participatory education, social justice, hope, freedom, we needed to bring all preceding terms alive. Unfortunately as an oppressed person, we have storage resentment, which can be easily transformed in dangerous anger; by being vigilante of our own perceptions, and word meaning, we can hunt, imprison or propose dialogue with the oppressor and violence implicit in institutions; we can prove that his or her bitter words are so far away from love as an organic living system, Freire (2005 p. 77) cited Fromm, said that banking education has a false understanding of humans as subjects and it can not promote biophily, it produces necrophilia.
While life is characterized by growth in a structured, functional manner, the necrophilous person loves all that does not grow, all that is mechanical. The necrophilous person is driven by the desire to transform the organic into the inorganic, to approach life mechanically, as if all living persons were things. Memory, rather than experience; having, rather than being, is what counts. The necrophilous person can relate to an object—a flower or a person—only if he possesses it; hence a threat to his possession is a threat to himself; if he loses possession he loses contact with the world.  He loves control, and in the act of controlling he kills rife”.
            This is my dream related to murder what is a living imagery system: In a dream I saw a well dressed white child wearing a brown hat, he was among children trying to organize an event, I told him that I will prove that he does not exist, suddenly he become a toy of his height, it took couple of seconds for him to be an eatable candy, I ate it, he was gone. I clearly saw a very violent character that cans easily objective humans. Later my professor delivered a speech about the importance of organizing to accomplish our liberator causes, he told us, when he was a child, he organized a soccer team in his community. When the teacher was sharing his memory, at that moment I knew that the child of my dream was my teacher; when do we kill or transform our inner child into toy or candy? At what moment we, teachers are in danger to be a zombie? What kind of silent war we are trap into? We live in a zombie era, where cyber consensuses slowly is gaining space in our interactions, sadly, teachers are functioning as the “cultural workers or intellectuals” that are cords to transfer oppressor venom, Giroux (2011 p. 4) said
“ The roaming hordes of celebrity zombie intellectuals work hard to fuel a sense of misguided fear and indignation toward democratic politics, the social state and immigrants, all of which spewed out in bitter words and comes terribly close to inciting violence. Zombies love death-dealing institutions, which accounts for why they rarely criticize, they bloated military budget and the rise of the punishing state and is expanding prison system”.  The anti democratic systems work better when minds are cloned. In a factory like classrooms, students do their work to memorize what is in textbook, to be ready to pass a standardize test. 
It will take a collective effort for us to be liberated, observe how we communicate to our inner voices and with others to find if we have the same dream of freedom and betterment. In the process of decoding the role of victim, oppressed tend to become reactionary, he or she is reacting and we need to remember, violence is initiated by oppressors; we oppressed need to move from the neurosis phase that war, blood and violence has planted us, it will happen when we move away from duality, when we vomit rigid, smelly and old systems of the Lords. Become reflective and act upon our own conclusions to necked oppressors and allow are true being to accomplish his or her vocation, which is to be fully humans.
Freire exposed our educational system as one in which: the teacher is the depositor, the students are the depositories, the teacher issues communication which students passively receive, memorize, and repeat, knowledge becomes a gift bestowed by those who consider themselves knowledgeable upon those they consider to know nothing, teachers and administrators choose the instructional program content and students adapt to it. The more students work at storing the deposits entrusted to them, the less they develop the critical consciousness which would result from their intervention in the world as transformers of that world. The more completely they accept the passive role impressed on them, the more they tend simply to adapt to the world as it is and to the fragmented view of reality deposited in them.
Banking model is been placed in most of the classrooms in both sides of the border; teachers are instructed to teach from textbooks and workbooks to cover state test material.  Their own validity relies on standardize evaluations. I remember one case where student teacher deliver instruction 100% of the time from textbook during Health class, students read passages out loud with no innervation or explanation from teacher.  Students were not engage in learning, there were no connections to real life applications, students were in agony, Freire (2005) brought Fromm’s ideas into Pedagogy the Oppressed; for the masters to be is to have, for them having more is an inalienable right they acquire through their own effort. The master have pleasure of complete domination over another person is the very essence of the sadistic drive and its aim is to transform humans into a thing, is a love of death, not of life, it kills life. In the case mentioned above, students’ anima is already out of the equation, teacher anima as well. There is no interaction with individual’s perspectives of the topic, words are shadows that came from a pre fabricated hole, there is not generative themes of a such as human subject which is Health, and in a paradox the grapheme and phoneme of the word health is sick. Hence Pedagogy of the Oppressed could be a tool for liberation to end mutual and inner war.
Liberation as a mutual process
I stared this paper sharing my confessions. When I went to Raramuri Mountains I was seeking for power, I saw how powerful humans can be when living and respecting nature. I tried to avoid the victim role as much as possible, I learned that Tarahumaras-Raramuris believe we have 7 identities or souls, I understood why women in my family are empathetic, they could exchange identities when talking to any person, -I am you-you are me-. I learned among other things that sarcasm is their school, I tried not to judge their living conditions, their suffering for centuries, their machismo, their joking way of seeing reality. I just went like the river as I was advice to do and in that stage of mind, I saw reality while hope was rebuilt in my heart to change what collectively we will consider to be different. Individuals have an ontological vocation, is to be a Subject who acts upon and transform the world, when doing it moves to new possibilities of fuller life that benefit the group. Freire (2005 p. 44) “ to admit dehumanization as an historical vocation would lead either to cynicism or total despair”.  I assumed sarcasm as my first step to liberation, months later I could combine two consciences magical and critical. For Tarahumaras tracing dreams correspond to our spiritual realm where true power reside. For religion interpreting dreams belong to imagination or demonic actions. Religion has used our imagination to exploit our magical consciences, we can change the metaphor, reclaim our magical consciences to leave space for dreaming freely to begin the changes that we like to see. Freire (2005, p. 85)
As the situation becomes the object of their cognition, the naive or magical perception which produced their fatalism gives way to perception which is able to perceive itself even as it perceives reality, and can thus be critically objective about that reality. A deepened consciousness of their situation leads people to apprehend that situation as an historical reality susceptible of transformation”.
He continues saying that the process of liberation is initiated by the oppressed, power should springs from the weakness to be sufficiently strong to free both.  The act of liberation is an act of love, which opposes lovelessness, which lies at the heart of the oppressors’ violence. It is to say that oppressed in their initial stage for freedom tend to become sub-oppressors or oppressors, he or she is going to the opposite pole. Oppressed carry a mentality of contradictions, they live in a dual realty and when they seek reform they already have the oppressor as their model of manhood. They discovered that without freedom they couldn’t exist authentically. According to Freire the development of the pedagogy of liberation can happened only when oppressed discover they to be host of the oppressor. As long as they live in the duality in which to be is to be like, and to be like is to be like the oppressor, this contribution is not possible. As the title said the process of liberation is mutual, opposite pole are in gestation what it will emerge is a new person; according to Freire (2005) this liberation can not be achieved in a romantic way, where the oppressed perceive oppression as a limiting situation which is transformable, motivating force came after, and action in dialoguing with the oppressor as his or her antithesis (-I am needed by the oppressor-); struggle is observed during this process because when the oppressor discover him self to be one, may cause anguish and wiliness to help the oppressed in a paternalist way, but oppressed need to remember that oppressor is independent, was meant to be for him/her self, is the master, or the Lord. Oppressor can authentically engage at oppressed side when he feeds her conscious with bio love instead of necrophilia. It is fear what prevents individuals to seek for the indispensable condition for the quest of human nature, which is freedom. The oppressed will distinguish between false and true perception, when the change will threaten individuals interest and there is fear surrounding his or her revolution the tendency is to behave neurotically; in this stage is when oppressed are vomiting the myths created in the old order and creating his or her personal, local new order avoiding global commands that obey capitalism. We Mexicans have a very valuable knowledge to stop inner battle, that is to dissolve secrets and recognize our indigenous heritage, learn from it and develop the necessary humor to make oppressor invisible, than visible, cut his or her head that ultimately represent ego-center views. Last night I had a dream, I saw the invisible men hugging headless men, how could I see the invisible men? I did it, the oppressor is not invisible, I am not invisible either. Cruz (2014) Juan Villoro a Mexican intellectual and writer once said “ un vez soñé que me preguntaban, ¿es usted mexicano? Sí pero no lo vuelvo a ser.” Once I dreamt that I was asked, are you Mexican? Yes, but I won’t do it again. It is hard to accept our mestizo identity because we live in a constant inner battle of colonizer and colonized at the same time is the best stage because we know and live both sides of the story very well.
References
Briseño, F. & Reyes, R.  (2012). Póopol Wuuj. Traducción. Mérida Yucatán México: el otro@ el mismo. Universidad Modelo.

Cruz, M.  (2014). Juan Villoro, el rebelde de las metáforas. Retrieved from http://www.nacion.com/ocio/literatura/Juan-Villoro-rebelde-metaforas_0_1416658362.html

Freire, P. (20015) “The Banking Concept of Education.” Ways of Reading: An Anthology for
Writers. 7th ed. David Bartholomae and Anthony Petrosky. Boston: Bedford,


Freire, P (1974). Education for Critical Consciousness (Bloomsbury Revelations). Retrieved from      http://www.amazon.com/dp/1780937814/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

Freire, P. (1998). Pedagogy of freedom: Ethics, democracy, and civic courage (P. Clarke,   Trans.). Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield

 

Giroux, H. (2004). Critical Pedagogy and the Postmodern/Modern Divide: Towards a Pedagogy of Democratization. Teacher Education Quarterly

Moyers, B. (2013). Henry Giroux on 'Zombie' Politics. United States: Moyers & Company.

 

Weiler, K. (1998) Women Teaching for Change: Gender, Class & Power. Retrieved from    https://books.google.com/books?id=B1xEsMmJNW0C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false








Popular posts from this blog