Possibility



In Dr Rossatto's book, Freire'sPedagogy of Possibilty.  It is very important to know in more detail the life of someone who has been dedicated most of his time searching for an optimistic reality for him self and the community he lives in. I will begin by writing  my most recent dream related to the reading. I dream of a trip to Africa, I was host by a black family, mother, father, and children. During my dream I asked my self a question, what am I doing here? Dreams are nuts, aren't they? I was running up to the mountain,here in El Paso, I felt tired; I saw books, teachers, and paintings. I woke up thinking of my own level of racism as Dr Rossatto questions him self in his book. The most surprising thing is that a day after my dream I went to a restaurant I was talking to a beautiful German lady that put her cat to sleep, she claimed that the cat was to old, in my mind I judged her, of being a kind of neo nazi against old cats; while I was about to speak up my mind, I saw a black family arriving to the restaurant I was in, their faces looked very familiar, it took me couple minutes to realized that they were the same family of my dream. In the Mayan tradition there is a belief call the mirror: whatever you see in other people you have it in. I'been thinking of racism in my family and in my own; any time we have a new born in the family my mom said "ya merobaron mi color' they stole my white color when this new born is white, buy when the new born is brown she does not said any comment. As Dr Rossatto said in his book, we learn fatalism, we learn to agree to things that are against basic human rights which is to be treated with dignity and respect. We ignore that basic truth, specially when we or our family members have been oppressed for long time. Dr Rossatto, examines how real-life situations and social structures influence us to build visions of our future. The more poor and oppressed we are the less is our hope to improve. I think most of us continue the path of oppression in different aspects: 1. When woman search for freedom tend to fall in her own trap;I have seen academic women who lead feminist programs whose level of misogyny is high, I challenge them to reflect upon  and be careful of what message they are delivering to their students and community; feminist movement will follow the same vicious cycle if we do not react now.  2. Slavery, back in time we clearly saw the path of slavery, chains, skin color, deletion of names, murder, and omission in the constitution. Now, we do not see it but we are part of new slavery; loans. Long time ago Chomsky said that there is a force (business, state, and media)  manipulating our lives, they have created necessities and a life style that we try to fill full by doing business out of religion, education, health care, corrupted food.... We are in constant debt and pain. We believe that attending university is  the best idea, and when we finish a brilliant future is waiting for us,no, there is not brilliant future awaiting when we are in debt  and we need to remain in a job to pay back. What do we do? Look for other ways to pay your tuition, avoid student loans or any loan. 3. New Age tendencies, some of us have realized how playful this world is, we do not want to be part of the awful game that is already corrupted. We want to be smart to transform what other people have destroyed; we followed our spirituality with religion, meditation, tarot, women circles, hypnosis sessions, pseudo sciences, most of these movements use our faith to made their point across, what about leaving these practices and start following our own instinct, intuition and spirit to find balance? Have you ever taught about knowing your family history, talking to your abuela about her own abuela? They hold the secrets and mysteries of the family, sometimes it will be painful to find out what our ancestors did but we are here alive to heal our past generations memories that live within our cells. Guess what?, you will find amazing stories too, their wisdom, their inner beauty, and so on; let's leave the topic for another moment, now we talking about the things that oppress us the most. 4. Racism, what is it? According to the dictionary is the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races, prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior. Be honest and think how racist your are on a daily basis, we have heritage racism, do we want to stop it? Sure we want a better present and future, let's begin NOW. It not an easy task. 
For now I invite you to read Dr Rossatto's book. See you all soon



Popular posts from this blog